Top 5: Tips for Healthy Bowel Movements
5. Avoid laxatives and emollients
Before resorting to laxatives or fecal emollients, make sure you’ve tried all the tips mentioned above. If these aren’t enough, speak to your doctor, who will know how to advise you.
Note: certain medications can cause constipation. If you think your medication is causing you to experience constipation, speak to your pharmacist; he will be able to help you find a solution.
If you suffer from chronic constipation or diarrhea, I strongly advise you to consult a doctor. As well as helping regularize your bowel movements, he/she will carry out the necessary tests to ensure these digestive issues are not the consequence of more serious problems.
- Peters, H., De Vries, W. R., Vanberge-Henegouw…, G., & Akkermans, L. (2001). Potential benefits and hazards of physical activity and exercise on the gastrointestinal tract. Gut, 48(3), 435–439. http://doi.org/10.1136/gut.48.3.435
- Nestlé Health Science. (2016). Troubles gastro-intestinaux – Transit intestinal. Retrieved from https://www.nestlehealthscience.ca/fr/prise-en-charge-de-la-sante/troubles-gastro-intestinaux/transit-intestinal
- Extenso. (November 28th, 2012). Favorisez votre régularité. Retrieved from http://www.extenso.org/article/favorisez-votre-regularite/
- Dietitians of Canada. (2016). Glossary-Probiotics. Retrieved from http://www.pennutrition.com/GlossaryList.aspx?letter=p
- Dietitians of Canada. (February 11th, 2010). Probiotics and Prebiotics Evidence Summary. Retrieved from http://www.pennutrition.com/KnowledgePathway.aspx?kpid=3085&trcatid=42&trid=3150
- Papineau, Roxanne. (March 20th, 2016). Les mille et une avenues du microbiote et l’approche FODMAP: Pour qui et comment? [Présentation Power Point]. Retrieved from www.harmoniesanté.com
- Eat Right Ontario. (2016). Prebiotics. Retrieved from https://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/Articles/Probiotics/prebiotics/Prebiotics.aspx
Pages:Previous page 1 2 3 4 5
The following two tabs change content below.
Member of the Quebec College of Dietitians (OPDQ) and Dietitians of Canada,Jef graduated from McGill University in December 2014. Recently graduated and passionate about culinary arts, Jef poses a simple, effective and practical look at daily meal planning. With this in mind, she works in conjunction with the mission of SOSCuisine…