Legume pasta in a spicy sauce with tomatoes, anchovies, capers, and olives.
This spaghetti sauce originated in the Isle of Ischia, near Naples. The word puttanesca is derived from «puttana», a colloquial term for prostitute. Some claim that the sauce earned its name because of its spicy flavor. Another theory holds that it got its name because it cooks quickly - even women with very busy work schedules could prepare it, or so the story goes.
|160 g||legume pasta||2 1/4 cups|
|1/2 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||130 g|
|2||anchovy fillets, chopped||8 g|
|1 tsp||olive paste||5 g|
|1 1/4 tsp||capers, coarsely chopped||4 g|
|1 clove||garlic, finely chopped|
|2 tsp||Parsley and Garlic Base||10 mL|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- To save time, the sauce preparation and the pasta cooking can be done at the same time. Start by cooking the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the finely chopped garlic, 1 min taking care not to let it burn. Chop the anchovies, then add them to the pan and cook with stirring. When they have broken apart and «melted» (after about 2 min), add the coarsely chopped capers, olive paste, parsley and garlic base and diced tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, for 7-8 min over low heat while stirring from time to time. Add pepper to taste. In general, it is not necessary to add salt since the anchovies are already salted.
- Put the drained spaghetti back into the pasta cooking pot, add the sauce, then mix well. Serve in the warmed dishes.
Parmesan is not added since the flavour of fish sauces in general does not benefit from the addition of cheese.
The Puttanesca Sauce can be made up to 10 days ahead, refrigerated, then reheated while you cook the pasta.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (150g)
% Daily Value
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Vitamin E
- Source of :
- Calcium, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||0|