A nice bowl of quinoa for breakfast is an excellent way to fill up with energy in the morning.
|1/4 cup||quinoa||45 g|
|1/2 cup||water||125 mL|
|1||vanilla beans||2 g|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|1 tbsp||maple syrup||15 mL|
|1/4 cup||milk, skimmed, 0%||65 mL|
- Place the quinoa in a fine strainer and hold it under cold running water until the water runs clear, then drain well.
- Slit the vanilla bean lengthwise down the centre, scrape out some of the seeds, then add them along with the scraped bean to the saucepan. Add the quinoa and water,with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the grains are translucent and the germ has spiralled out from each grain, about 15 min.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, 5 min. Fluff with a fork then portion out to bowls.
- Add the maple syrup, and milk, then serve.
* The used vanilla bean may be rinsed, dried and stored for reuse.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (220g)
% Daily Value
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
- Excellent source of :
- Magnesium, Manganese, Vitamin B2
- Good source of :
- Copper, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Zinc
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Folacin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D
- Low :
- Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Free :
- Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Milk and Alternatives||½|